Position: Associate Lawyer
JMS Law – Barrie, ON
Job Type: 1 Year Contract
Core practice: focused on Family Law, Real Estate and Wills and Estates
Reputation: Known by the judiciary and other firms as a team of professionals who excel at advocating for our clients with respect and integrity.
Our philosophy: We aim towards resolution whenever it is possible for our clients to arrive at a win-win. We guide our clients to strive for personal inner growth through their conflict and ensure that everyone is heard.
Our next team member: We are excited to welcome a new associate lawyer to our firm. Those who will flourish on our team will enjoy building relationships in and out of the office. We have amazing clients waiting for you and are excited to see how you build and use existing connections to grow your client list.
You lead your clients by staying focused on the ideal outcome, educating them on how best to stay personally accountable and partner with you during the process. You coordinate, delegate, and resource as required to ensure all details are captured.
Primary Requirements & Responsibilities (included, but are not limited too):
- Candidates must possess a passion for Family law.
- Good understanding of legal procedures in the areas of Family law
- Attend court and draft accurate court documents
- Willing to work with both private files and Legal Aid files
- Negotiation and Litigation skills
- Ability to commence court applications
- Strong research skills
- Strong communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with clients from all demographics
- Strong diplomatic and mediation skills
- Ability to manage a caseload of approximately 50 files
- Willingness to network and build relationships that grows client list
- One or two years of experience with articling considered as one year
- Leadership Skills – personal, clerks and clients
- Willing to learn docketing procedures in PC Law
- A strong ability to network and bring in new files
- Willing to learn and grow personally
- Self-reliant and adaptable to a fast pace high pressured atmosphere
- Strong Time Management skills
- Strong appreciation for marginalized communities
- Strong team player with a resolution focus perspective
- Willing to move to and/or currently live in the Bradford, Simcoe County area
- Prepared to travel to satellite courts
- Strong compassionate approach to resolution